Learning how to ground and why you should was the impetus behind this Grounding 101 article. What is it? How? Why?
Becoming grounded and staying there is often a challenge when living in a world filled with fast paced, rush rush, chaotic, hurry up energy. Your physical body may often feel like your insides are dancing on a hot plate! Your mind bounces from one thing to another, not unlike a game of ping pong. Many may be demanding your attention all at once.
If you are at all internet savvy, you have seen the joke about……squirrel! Oh wait, where was I again? Right?
What exactly is grounding?
“Grounding creates a secure attachment and connection with the earth. It permits the flow of energy from the earth to move through the soles of your feet and up through your body. This can then be joined with the energy flowing from the sky, through the top of your head and down through your body. The coupling of energy from the “heavens” and the “earth” creates the proper balance in your crystal work.” 
Not only in your crystal work, but your everyday life. If you are not grounded, you may find it difficult to remain focused. “You may feel “flighty” or “spaced out”, even nervous or hyper active. To not be grounded often means you are less effective in your daily life.” 
Grounding can be accomplished in a matter of minutes. It is simply taking the time to stop the madness and find a quiet spot. Three minutes is really all you need to ground, which will help to refocus and be more effective in the task at hand.
There are many methods and tools that can aid in grounding.
Crystals are a simple and highly effective way to help get you grounded and keep you grounded. I have an easy ditty to remember, “Grounding to Earth (use Earth colors to ground your energy frequency/vibration) and Raising to Sky (use the blues, whites, golds and pinks that can be seen in the sky to raise your energy frequency/vibration)”.
Let’s say I am having a most overwhelming day. Work is piling up; I am pinging all over the place and accomplishing nothing. I can’t seem to stay focused on even the smallest of tasks.
In this case, I would want to choose a stone that has a lower vibration than my own energy field. Something that would pull my chaotic energy down a bit, one to ground and balance me. I would choose something that will allow me to slow down and focus. Grounding and balancing crystals/minerals/organics would include those in the color range of Red, Black, Brown, some of the darker mustard yellows and some metallics. Here is a good list to get you started.
A Grounding Crystal List
This is not an entire list of course. As I have said many times before, we each have our own unique energy and as such, we each will resonate to different crystals/minerals/organics at any one time. And that includes the ones we choose for grounding.
- Agate (earth colored)
- Amber (Amorphous/Organic)
- Apache Tear
- Brecciated Jasper
- Dalmatian Stone
- Fire Agate
- Hematoid Quartz (Quartz with Hematite inclusions)
- Jasper (Brecciated, Red, Brown, Black, Yellow)
- Obsidian, Black
- Petrified Wood
- Smoky Quartz
- Tourmalinated Quartz
- Tourmaline, Black
- Tourmaline, Dravite (Champagne)
- Zebra Stone (black/white variety)
There are a number of Grounding techniques you can use. Most only take a minute or two.
- If you know someone (you or someone else) who is a jewelry maker, have them make you an anklet with Black Obsidian and Red Jasper beads.
- Wear a Smoky Quartz point as a pendant. The natural termination pointing down to the earth.
- Keep a bowl of Grounding tumbled stones in a bowl within reach at all times.
- Give yourself some pamper time. Soak in a hot bubble bath with a few Obsidian tumbles thrown in.
- Take off your shoes and (if you are inside) place your feet flat on the floor. Sit up straight. Close your eyes. Feet flat on the floor. Breath in. On the out breath, imagine roots (or golden cord) coming out of your feet. With each exhale, imagine the roots going further down into the earth. Continue this for a minute or two or until you feel calm, grounded and calmly ready to face what comes your way.
- This may not work when you are at the office, but go hug a tree. This immediately connects you with earth energy in a deep way.
- Working in nature (Gardening) or simply heading out to your favorite nature spot will help to release chaotic energies and help you to find peace and balance through the grounding effects of earth based activities.
Grounding, for me, is simply stepping out of the chaos. Taking a breath. Reminding myself there is only this moment and returning to it. In that moment, you are one. Perfectly centered in source. Everything seems to stop. The only sound of exhaling breath and feeling of calm. You are not only grounded…….you are connected.